Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Pure Titanium Only Please

I thought I’d share this exchange between a customer and me because our conversation might help clear up some questions about titanium.



Hello!

I found your shop on Etsy when searching for titanium earrings. I definitely have problems wearing regular earrings, and I recently tried implant grade titanium studs with great success. My goal now is to hopefully replace the wires on earrings I own so I can wear them. It seems like you offer titanium wires, which is great.

My main question right now is are the titanium earrings and wires you sell pure titanium? I'm not sure if implant grade titanium differs from what you sell. Any information would be very helpful!

Thank you in advance,
Heather*

(*Not her real name.) 

I wrote back to Heather and told her that I use pure Grade 1 Titanium for all my earrings. Most titanium earrings on the market are produced from implant grade titanium, which is an alloy (meaning it’s mixed with other metals). And alloys are the most significant cause of reactions, which is why we enforce a strict Pure Grade 1 Titanium Only Policy here at Variya HQ.




Heather seemed to me like the type of person who would appreciate more than just a basic answer. So I sent her this link to a site that explains in detail all about the different grades of titanium. Here’s what it says about Grade 1 Titanium (the type I use for all my earrings):

Grade 1 titanium is the first of four commercially pure titanium grades. It is the softest and most ductile of these grades. It possesses the greatest formability, excellent corrosion resistance and high impact toughness. Because of all these qualities, Grade 1 is the material of choice for any application where ease of formability is required. These include:
• Chemical processing
• Dimensional stable anodes
• Architecture
• Medical industry
• Marine industry
• Automotive parts
• Airframe structure
• Variya earrings

Just kidding. I added that last one. But seriously! Marine industry? Airframe structure? We’re in good company, my friends. Variya's titanium earrings are not only allergy-free but ultra durable. I don’t even know what “dimensional stable anodes” are, but I like the sound of it.

The good news is: Heather and anyone else concerned about allergic reactions to earrings can rest easy when ordering from Variya. What sets my work apart from most “hypo allergenic” jewelry is that I use only pure grade one Titanium (and Niobium—but that’s another post) in my earrings. No alloys, no metal sensitivities, no allergic reactions, no more itchy earlobes!


https://www.etsy.com/listing/58752339/titanium-simplicity-titanium-hoop?ref=shop_home_active_6


https://www.etsy.com/listing/62525681/titanium-radiance-pure-titanium-hoop?ref=shop_home_active_11

No comments:

Post a Comment